Automations streamline your workflow by working in the background and eliminating the mundane and manual tasks so you can focus on your sales. Up to 20 automations are available with a Grow subscription, 2 for the Develop Subscription and 1 for the Start subscription. They can be configured by an admin in account settings. In its most basic terms, automations answer the if/then statement: "When this happens, do this."
There are two different types of automations that you can create: data-based and time-based.
- Data-based: These automations are designed to run whenever a records data is created, updated, or deleted. For example: You may want to create a task (action) whenever a new person record is created (trigger).
- Time-based: These automations will run based on system or custom date fields in your account. You can choose to have an action occur a certain number of days before/ after the date that is hosted in the field, or on the exact date. An example of a time based automation would be: update a custom field (action) one day after a deals Actual Close Date is set (trigger).
Folders allow you to sort your automations into distinct categories and help organize your workflows. An example of this feature is to place all Company related automations in one folder and People related automations in another, which helps you locate specific automations quicker.
Click Manage Automations Folders to add, edit, and delete folders.
Please note that if you delete a folder, the automations in that folder will move to the default folder.
There are two ways to add an automation to a folder:
- When creating a new automation, you can select the folder you wish to save the automation in.
- You can also drag and drop previously created automations into the folders on the left.
Data-Based Automations Triggers
Triggers are your conditions. Think of it as the "When this happens.." part of the statement. All system AND custom fields can be used as triggers within automations (based on the record type that is the trigger).
- Company automations can be triggered when a company record is created, updated or deleted. Additional condition parameters can be applied and include a combination of system fields like name, owner, or website, as well as any of the company custom fields in your account.
- Deal automations can be triggered when a deal record is created, updated or deleted. Additional condition parameters can be applied and include a combination of system fields like name, owner, or amount, as well as any of the deal custom fields in your account.
- People automations can be triggered when a person record is created, updated or deleted. Additional condition parameters can be applied and include a combination of system fields like name, owner, or title, as well as any of the person custom fields in your account.
- Export automations can be triggered when an export is run to make sure your data is secure.
- Calendar automations can be triggered when a calendar item is postponed, deleted, completed or created. Additional condition parameters can be applied as follows:
- Account ID = Pipeline Account ID (used for API calls)
- All Day = for all day calendar items (events only)
- Association = Company, Deal or Person ID that the calendar item is associated with (used for API calls)
- Association Type = whether the calendar item is associated to a Company, Deal or Person
- Category = task/event type (phone call, email, meeting, etc.)
- Category ID = used for API calls
- Company = name of Company the calendar item is associated to
- Company ID = used for API calls
- Complete = whether or not the calendar item is complete
- Completed at = date calendar item completed
- Created at = date calendar item created
- Description = calendar item description
- Due date = calendar item due date
- Edited at = date calendar item edited
- End time = calendar item end time (for events only)
- ID = custom calendar item ID (used for API calls)
- Name = calendar item name
- Owner ID = ID of calendar item owner (used for API calls)
- Owner Name = name of calendar item owner
- Start time = calendar item start time (for events only)
- Type = calendar item type (task vs. event)
- Updated at = date calendar item updated
Time-Based Automations Triggers
- Company automations can be triggered based on the date a the record was created, imported, updated, or the date the next entry is due. You can have the trigger run on this exact date, or ‘X’ number of days before/ after. You can also have the automations run based on any ‘date’ custom field.
- Deal automations can be triggered based on the date a record was created, imported, or updated. Additional condition parameters can be applied based on system or custom fields including, expected close date, actual close date, and date of first activity.
- Person automations can be triggered based on the date a record was created, imported, or updated. Additional condition parameters can be applied based on system or custom fields including, last activity created and the date the person was converted from a lead to a contact.
- Calendar item automations can be triggered based on a calendar item’s due date, creation date, start time, or end time.
- Activity automations can only be triggered based on the creation date for the activity.
- Customer automations can be triggered based on the created or updated date for that customer, as well as other customer custom fields.
- Create a task assigned to the triggered record owner of any other user
- Create a deal Get your active leads into your pipeline
- Send a notification An email can be sent to specific users or email addresses
- Apply a Todo Template A series of events strung together that can be applied at once to a person or deal
- Call an API API | W2L documentation for developers
- Update Customer Health The status of your customer relationships
- Assign owner to a company record when it's created or updated
- Updated a Custom Field
- Move a deal from one Pipeline to another. This is accomplished through the ‘Update Deal’ option. Below is an example of an automation that moves deals between Pipelines.
- This automation is designed to run one day after the deal’s actual close date. I have the deal moving the first stage of another Pipeline and will now be owned by a specific sales rep. It is important to note that you have three options for moving the deal. You can simply move the deal and all of its data, or you can copy the deal with/without activities. Copying the deal may be helpful if you want to keep the original deal intact, especially if the two deals do not correspond with each other.
Can I create an automation to trigger an email to a contact?
We recommend you check out our Email Campaigns feature for this here.
Why aren't there custom field trigger conditions for calendar items?
Calendar items do not have custom fields that are directly associated with agenda items.
How do I create an automation that assigns deal ownership when a deal stage changes?
Setup a trigger that creates a task for a user with the permission to assign deal record ownership (such as a Team Leader or Executive).