Outlook: Contact & Calendar Sync Overview
The Outlook integration in Pipeline CRM allows you to:
- Sync your emails: You can automatically sync your emails with Pipeline CRM, so you can see all of your communication with a particular contact in one place.
- Create contacts and deals: You can create new contacts and deals directly from Outlook, without having to switch back and forth between applications.
- Log emails and activities: You can log emails and other activities (such as calls or meetings) with a contact directly from Outlook, so you can easily keep track of your interactions.
- Schedule activities: You can schedule tasks and other activities (such as calls or meetings) with a contact directly from Outlook, so you can stay on top of your to-do list.
- Access your Pipeline CRM data: You can view your Pipeline CRM data (such as deals and contacts under your ownership) directly from within Outlook, without having to switch to a different application.
How to set up the Outlook Integration
Step 1: Install the Add-in
To set up the Outlook integration with Pipeline, you must first install the add-in. The Outlook add-in creates bi-directional sync with Pipeline and your Outlook calendar and contacts. The Pipeline Outlook add-in is built for Outlook 2013, Outlook 2016, Outlook.com, and Office 365 with an email that is hosted on a Microsoft Exchange server.
Step 2: Pipeline category
Once installed, create a Pipeline category to sync new contacts and calendar events into Pipeline. The formatting of the category must be one word, with a capitalized P.
Apply the Pipeline category to sync any contact or calendar event into Pipeline. All contacts and calendar events created in Pipeline will sync to your Outlook account with the category automatically applied.
NOTE: Outlook.com does not currently support contact categories in its user interface. Therefore, you will not be able to apply the Pipeline category to sync with Pipeline. You can create the record in Pipeline by clicking the Sync to Pipeline button if you receive or send an email to that contact.
Step 3: Start Syncing!
Syncing Contacts between Outlook and Pipeline
Outlook and Pipeline will sync your contacts on the first setup of the add-in. After the initial syncing, Outlook will apply the Pipeline category to all contacts brought in from Pipeline. Click here to learn more about adding Categories in Outlook. Your contacts in Outlook must have an email address and the Pipeline category applied to sync with Pipeline. Changes to a contact will update bi-directionally, with priority given to the most recent change.
Syncing tasks and events between Outlook and Pipeline
The add-in will bi-directionally sync tasks and events between your Pipeline and Outlook calendar. Any tasks or events entered into Outlook will need to have the Pipeline category, to sync into Pipeline. Changes made to tasks and events will update bi-directionally with priority given to the most recently updated change version of the record, with the exception of deletions. If you delete a task or event from Outlook or from Pipeline, we simply stop syncing that task or event. Syncing between the two programs automatically occurs on a 10-minute cycle.
NOTE: Repeating tasks and events are not currently supported.
Adding emails to your Pipeline contacts
With the Pipeline Outlook add-in installed, you will be able to file emails into your Pipeline account under the contact they are associated with. You can add emails, as well as attachments, to Pipeline whether the sender or recipient of the message.
- Click on the message in your inbox that you want to add to your Pipeline account.
If the Pipeline for Outlook slide-in isn’t already on your screen, click on the Sync to Pipeline button, if you are using Outlook 2013, 2016 or Outlook for Mac.
If you are using Outlook.com, you will see the Pipeline icon on the header of the message itself in the viewing pane.
- After clicking on the Pipeline icon button, you will see a confirmation summary in the slide-in pane that reviews what you will be saving into Pipeline. Click Save to file the email as an activity on the contact's record. You will see a confirmation message when it's saved.
To file a message that you are sending to your Pipeline account
- In the compose new message window, click on the Pipeline icon located on the ribbon bar if you are using Outlook 2013, 2016 or Outlook for Mac. The icon is located on the bottom right-hand corner of the compose window if you are using Outlook.com.
- Once you have completed writing your message, on send, a copy of the message will be sent to Pipeline and filed under the contact that matches the email address in the “To” field. If a contact matching this address doesn’t exist, a new record will be created and the email will file as an activity on the record.